Weather Cancellation Procedures
With winter right around the corner, it is a good time to review the FCPS weather cancellation procedures. FCPS provides information about closings and delays in many ways including:
- Posted to the official @FCPSnews Twitter and Facebook pages. Please note that the the official Twitter account (with blue checkmark) is generally the first and fastest mode of communication during emergency weather closings. Other communication channels are updated as quickly as possible including email, text, website, other social media, and news stations. Please be aware, due to the large volume of emails sent, there will likely be a lag between the time a FCPS Twitter alert is posted and receipt of an email in your inbox.
- Posted to www.fcps.edu.
- Email and text messages sent to parents (using the parent contact information listed in weCare@school).
- Email sent to employees (using the employee's FCPS email address).
- Email sent to News You Choose subscribers of Delayed Openings and School Closings.
- Posted on FCPS cable Channel 21 (Cox Communications, Reston Comcast, and Verizon cable customers only).
- Area radio and television stations.
In the event of a 2-hour delay at Belvedere, students can enter the building starting at 10:55 a.m., and the school day officially begins at 11:20 a.m. Full details about weather cancellation procedures can be found on the FCPS website.